For Part 1 click here For Part 2 click here Today's article is the third…
Most health conditions arise from a chronic state of metabolic imbalance
I learned almost nothing about metabolism in medical school. Over 20 plus years of practice and extensive study, I’ve grown increasingly convinced that most chronic metabolic conditions are the consequences of the wholesale abandonment of our genetically programmed nutritional needs.
Today, two thirds of our calories come either toxic seed oils or blood sugar elevating carbohydrates and sweets. These are the main ingredients in junk food. But many products containing these same unhealthy ingredients are disguised as health foods. This “secret” junk food is sold in places like Whole Foods Market, Trader Joes and Thrive Market.
Junk food and secret junk food stand between you and the body and health you deserve!
Fatburn Fix Saves Life of Type 2 Diabetic
I would like to thank you for literally saving my life. Back in February, I had to be hospitalized while on vacation in Phoenix with an A1C of 11% and had to start taking 2 types of insulin and 2 other meds. I read the Fatburn Fix in April, and followed the program to a tee, and I’m down by 15 pounds, 6.8 A1C, and only one once weekly diabetes medicine. Prior to reading the book, it was almost impossible for me to lose weight as a diabetic.
I feel free
For the last month, I have really been reading all labels on everything. I have completely remove those 8 oils you talk about. I must tell you, I feel great! I have more energy and I am now 197 lbs (have always been around 205 to 210lbs). I eat potatoes with real butter, grass fed steak, pasta with the right toppings. I eat everything! I seem to crave less sugar. I love it!
I feel so much better
I had terrible aches and pains everywhere in my body, my hands, shoulders and knees. I feel so much better and the way I feel is motivating me every day! Thank you
Mike Deb Wootan Burcin
Better than ever
I am an anesthesiologist in Orlando and a huge fan of both of your books! I have been incorporating your principles for the last 10 months and feel that my health is better than ever.
Marnie Robinson, MD
My allergies disappeared
The biggest difference for me (and a surprising one) is that my allergies have almost completely disappeared! This is a big deal for me, because I’ve had allergies most of my life and they have often affected what I do which is a teaching music in [a public school district]. In general, I feel much better and have more consistent energy throughout the day.
Heart Palpitations have Stopped
I’ve lost 20+ pounds (also fasting 16-24 hours daily) and haven’t had palpitations except for one occasion — I had a mini bag of Fritos for the first time in July. And, I feel better now on a daily basis than I ever did all through college.
Deep Nutrition and Fatburn Fix reader
I’ve lost over 50 pounds
I’ve lost over 50 pounds. I’m 56 years old. Cutting processed food and unhealthy fats from my diet was one of the first things I did on my health recovery journey...I went cold turkey off the bad oils. Emptied my pantry into the trash and just started eating real food
Mitzi Wilkinson Champion
Knowledge I didn’t know I needed
Your Fatburn Fix book is amazing, my friend. Thank you! I’m an Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and I know my stuff. This is the extra layer of knowledge I didn’t know I needed. Well done!
Fatburn Fix reader
Lost a solid 20 lbs and my bloodwork is great
I have lost a solid 20 lbs and my bloodwork (after 3 months of eating your way) was even better! I was metabolically healthy (per your book) before I read your book, but barely. Lowering my weight, sealed the deal! I have been talking about you and your book to anyone who will listen...Thank you for all you’ve done and what you continue to do! You are changing lives for the better!
FatBurn Fix reader
Lost 20 lbs I could never shed
I love your Fatburn Fix! Has helped me so so much! I have had the dreaded weight all my life - 20 or so pounds I could never shed. I have lost that now. I only eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner with a glass of milk or cappuccino around 4 to hold me over. No snacking and not bad oils. It has been the key to unlocking my fatburn. I work out in the am and believe I am burning fat for energy not from food!
I feel great
My waist is four inches smaller. I feel great and many of the minor aches and pains that I had (knees and lower back) are gone. Also, my muscle tone is amazing, even though I have not increased my workout routine.
Completed Dr Cate's online course
The go-to for strength and conditioning coaches
Whenever I advise my clients about eating to perform I go straight to what I have learned from Dr. Cate. Her book Deep Nutrition has become the go-to for strength and conditioning coaches across the country.
Major League Baseball Agent with WME Sports
Dismantles the lie
Dr. Cate dismantles the lie that seed oils are healthy, which may the biggest lie about nutrition and health because it’s so insidious.
Ken D Berry, MD
Author of Lies My Doctor Told Me
She knows the chemistry
Dr. Cate alerts us to the harms of seed oils and she’s convincing because she knows the chemistry better than anyone.
Dr. Drew Pinskey, MD
Globally recognized internal medicine and addiction medicine specialist, media personality, LoveLine Host, and New York Times bestselling author
No one is better at communicating nutritional truth
Dr. Cate has had the single greatest impact on how we talk to people about fueling for both performance or durability. While we all are a little unique, the foundational principles of human nutrition are immutable. If you are looking to create a more durable, resilient body, no one is better at communicating nutritional truth than Dr. Cate.
Dr. Kelly Starrett
Physiotherapist coach and New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling author
Highly recommend The Fatburn Fix
Dr. Shanahan has had a significant impact on my practice of medicine. I am known as a Low Carb Doctor, but I never really appreciated the negative effects of processed seed oils on the health of my patients. I highly recommend The Fatburn Fix to my patients and have a loaner copy in my waiting room. It is amazing how quickly blood sugars and overall health improves with cutting seed oils. It is not just about the carbs!
Dr. Brian Lenkzes, MD
CEO of LowCarbMD San Diego, co-host of Low Carb MD Podcast and host of Life's Best Medicine Podcast
Respected in the sports world
Dr. Cate reordered my diet when I was with the L.A. Lakers, and the benefits, for me personally, were felt immediately and have served me to this day. I’ve come to take real food so seriously I started a small family farm. I know of no M.D./nutritionist more respected in the sports world than Dr. Cate Shanahan.
Brought seed oil issue front and center
Cate brought the seed oil issue front and center. Healthy fats matter. So much so that I created an entire product line to swap out bad fats with good.
Founding Father of the Primal/Paleo Movement
Optimal health starts with food
If you want to understand how optimal health starts with food, start with Dr. Cate. Her book Deep Nutrition leaves you with an appreciation of the profound relationship between our genes and the planet, inspiring us to be good shepherds of both.
Attribution author of The Whole 30
Helped me with endurance
Deep Nutrition really helped me with endurance. I started to feel better as a player. I was able to run more, I was able to be more active …and I just decided to keep going with it to this day.
Silver bullet for me
Dr Cate’s teachings helped me lose 60 pounds like it was nothing. It was like a silver bullet for me.
Paul Grewal, MD
Dr Grewal Internal Medicine, MD, author of Genius Foods
Radically improve your health…
Dr. Shanahan has provided a solid reference that deserves a place in the library of anyone who is seriously interested in nutrition. Her perspective on the vital role that healthy fat has in our diet is novel and, if implemented, can radically improve your health.
Dr. Joseph Mercola
Author of Fat for Fuel and Founder of Mercola.com
Pull up a chair…
I have based my work on the idea that getting the right kinds of healthy fats into your body and avoiding the worst fats is essential to optimal health. I've interviewed dozens of the world's top experts about this, and I know of no one who speaks more eloquently on this topic than Dr Cate. If she’s talking fats, pull up a chair. Take notes.
Author of the Bulletproof Diet
The key to unlocking my fatburn
I love your Fatburn Fix! Has helped me so so much! I have had the dreaded weight all my life - 20 or so pounds I could never shed. I have lost that now. I only eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner with a glass of milk or cappuccino around 4 to hold me over. No snacking and not bad oils. It has been the key to unlocking my fatburn.
Saved my life
I would like to thank you for literally saving my life. Back in February, I had to be hospitalized while on vacation in Phoenix with an A1C of 11% and had to start taking 2 types of insulin and 2 other meds. I read the Fatburn Fix in April, and followed the program to a tee, and I’m down by 15 pounds, 6.8 A1C, and only one once weekly diabetes medicine.
Tears of joy
I'm crying tears of joy and appreciation for all you've done for me and my health! Without Deep Nutrition and Fatburn Fix, I would literally still be in the vicious cycle I'd been fighting all my life! In a nutshell - I am no longer a compulsive overeating addict suffering under the crushing 'thumb' of all food and alcohol.
The goal of Deep Nutrition is to remove the toxins from your diet while adding back nutrient intense foods that can revive your body’s vitality from the inside out. As your habits change, your taste buds will wake up and allow you enjoy the bouquet of flavors available to you in REAL FOOD.
If you would like more information and details, before posting any questions, please remember I have a full time medical practice! Chances are, your questions have already been answered in the pages of Deep Nutrition, Food Rules and my latest book, The FATBURN Fix
These ten steps will help you accomplish your health goals.
- Avoid the Hateful 8 toxic fats. Most metabolic disease comes from a lifetime of eating high-PUFA seed oils. Over years, these unstable fats build up in your body fat and start to impact all 4 metabolic energy-producing systems, making you chronically tired. Toxic fats promote inflammation every where they go, including gut inflammation. They are the main reason fat starts to build up in your arteries and around your intestines. To avoid the Hateful 8, you must read the ingredients for all foods you buy (salad dressing, cereal, crackers, food bars, sauces, spreads) and avoid all of these oils:
- Rice Bran (restaurants use this)
- Grapeseed (restaurants use this, too)
- Control carbs, and strictly limit or avoid refined flours and sugars. Atkins was right: Not all calories are equal. If your FatBurn Quiz score is 75 or lower, you’ll get a real boost to your metabolism by keeping your total carb intake below 50-100 gm (not counting insoluble fiber) per day. And the kind of carbs matter! Once you’re a better fatburner, and if you’re a serious athlete, you can increase your carbs to 100-150. But if you have ever been overweight, eating more than 100-150 gm of carbs per day (depending on your size) will put the weight back on again, slowly but surely. So your best bet it to learn low carb and make it a new way of life.
- Do not buy low fat, low cholesterol, or fat free food alternatives such as egg-beaters, low-cholesterol spreads, skim milk, and low-fat ice creams. Inadequate fat consumption over decades can train your body to rely on sugar for energy and impair your ability to burn fat. If this has happened to you, you may need to jump start your fat burning enzymes using the tricks described on this website and more to come. Subscribe for updates.
- Eat butter, eggs, cheese, and whole-milk. Studies show eating these foods improves HDL (good) cholesterol, bone health, brain health, and energy levels. Make sure these products come from pastured (grass-fed) animals. If that’s not possible, chose organic. If that’s not possible, do your best when you can.
- Eat vegetables with fat, salt, and an acid. This combination optimizes your body’s ability to absorb the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in greens.
- Eat more vegetables that fruits. Fruits are better for you than candy for a treat, but they are a treat and you should eat 2- 3 servings of vegetables before you treat yourself to more fruit.
- Buy bone broth (or learn to make it). In order to exercise, you need to keep your joints in good shape. The number one miracle food for your joints and connective tissue (including bone) is bone broth because it contains compounds that act like growth hormones in these tissues. NOTE: The magic in bone broth comes not from bone marrow, but rather from the collagenous joint materials and skin. Whenever possible, use pastured and organic ingredients.
- Eat probiotic-rich foods. If your digestive system is crampy, gassy, bloaty, or otherwise making you not want to eat, when you do feel better you’ll be very tempted to treat yourself to something overly starchy or sweet. To keep your digestive system working smoothly, include probiotic-rich foods in your diet on a regular basis. The most popular probiotic-rich food in the US is yoghurt, and real pickles and sauerkraut are also great sources of digestive-boosting organisms.
- Exercise! Cross train by doing as many different types of activities as you can: Walk, Dance, Ski, Bike, Shovel your neighbor’s walk. The best exercise is the exercise that you do. No program will succeed for long if its not fun. (This applies to eating, too!)
- Sleep. Sleep allows your diet and exercise programs to transform your body composition. Your body will be exposed to excessive cortisol and pro-inflammatory hormones if you do not get enough sleep, and most people will do better with 8 hours than with the more-common 6-7 we sometimes have to deal with.
Want a sample menu?
Here’s what the some of the Lakers have been eating lately.