Supplements: I recommend the top 4 (1-4) to everyone
Vitamins EVERYONE Needs
- Mason One a Day has 100% of more vitamins than any other brand, other brands are imbalanced with too much of some and not enough of other vitamins: https://www.amazon.com/Mason-Natural-Multiple-Vitamins-Essentials/dp/B003XXLWXU
2) Vitamin D
- Which we used to get from sunshine before we built houses and moved indoors: Between 2,000 and 4,000 IU will get your blood level into the normal zone: Example: Carlson Labs Super Daily D3 Vitamin, 2000 (if you spend a lot of time outdoors) or 4000 (if you are mostly indoors) IU these drops should last 1 year, recommended due to the oil
Minerals EVERYONE Needs (To counteract soil depletion)
3) Magnesium Oxide 250mg.
- Many brands available for example http://www.naturemade.com/minerals/magnesium/magnesium-oxide
4) Zinc Picolinate, 22 mg- 50mg.
- Solgar Zinc picolinate contains 20% elemental zinc. Therefore 50 mg of zinc picolinate contains 10 mg elemental zinc. The RDA for men and women is 11mg and 8mg respectively, and the upper tolerable limit is 40mg of elemental zinc. Too much gives many people digestive upset.
Minerals for BONE and IMMUNE System Health
- For people who do not drink much milk or eat much cheese and yogurt
- Calcium citrate between 250mg to 500mg max eat more if you really do not get any dairy in your diet. More than about 500mg from supplements is associated with kidney stones and bone spurs.
- Example, by Pure Encapsulations https://www.pureformulas.com/calcium-citrate-180-vegetable-capsules-by-pure-encapsulations.html
Minerals for VEGANS and folks with THYROID disease
- For anyone with thyroid disease.
- Dulse Seaweed: This seaweed product is so high in Iodine it’s basically a supplement. Use one bag every 2 months, add to salad or just chew it when you’re standing around in the kitchen. Maine Coast Sea Vegetable Dulse – 2 oz bag
- Seak Kelp Iodine: 150-200mcg per day to supplement example https://www.amazon.com/Foods-150mcg-Natural-Iodine-Tablets/dp/B0001T0CL2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GMEWDET4Q7474N8J4S2D
- Lugol’s Iodine: This over the counter pharmaceutical solution is very concentrated and a health risk for children who may get their hands on it. For that reason, I recommend sticking with food-based iodine supplements like seaweed or seaweed in capsules like those above for use in routine supplementation. (Unless you are under a physician’s care, of course.)
- Brazil nuts are very high in selenium.
- 10 nuts per month will get you what you need. Red meat eaters get lots of selenium because most grass is high in selenium and most cows are still at least weaned on grasses and can bioconcentrate this mineral in their tissues.
Cartilage and Collagen
If you don’t have time to make bone stock from scratch and don’t like the boxed products (Kirkland brand organic chicken stock or Pacific Organic chicken or beef stock). I highly recommend these stand in products.
- Food Science of Vermont Superior Cartilage
- Ancestral Science Bovine Tracheal Cartilage
- CB Supplements Multi Collagen Protein. Use promo code drcate to get $5 off this premium grade collagen powder.
These offer you the most bioavailable form of iron and several B vitamins. I have seen them correct longstanding anemia and other blood cell level abnormalities like high or low white counts for example. Lots of good brands out there, do try to get something organic and pasture raised. Two of my favorites are
- Mother’s Best Goat Liver Pills: http://www.mothersbestliverpills.com/
- Ancestral Supplements: https://ancestral-supplements.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/grassfed-beef-liver-supplement
- Turmeric paste recipe from fresh turmeric root, has helped more people with joint pains than the supplements have, in my experience: https://naturalfitfoodie.com/turmeric-paste/
Sleep Aid Supplements
- Pure Encapsulations has a track record of actually containing what the container promises. Many different formulations exist, and it’s really tough to know what will work for a given person so if you don’t have good luck with one, try another.
- Here’s an example, from a company that promises your satisfaction or your money back. (Check their 45 day return policy for details): https://supplementfirst.com/products/pure-encapsulations-best-rest-formula