Most health conditions arise from a chronic state of metabolic imbalance
As your body tries to cope with the onslaught of toxins in processed foods, you develop multiple enzyme deficiencies and imbalances. This is what stands between you and the body and health you deserve! The goal of Deep Nutrition is to remove the toxins from your diet while adding back nutrient intense foods that can revive your body’s vitality from the inside out. As your habits change, your taste buds will wake up and allow you enjoy the bouquet of flavors available to you in REAL FOOD.
If you would like more information and details, before posting any questions, please remember I have a full time medical practice and run a unique community service program (feeding the Lakers to inspire families to feed kids right)! Chances are, your questions have already been answered in the pages of Deep Nutrition and Food Rules.
These ten steps will help you accomplish your health goals.
- Cut your carbs. Atkins was right: Not all calories are equal. You get a real boost to your metabolism by keeping your total carb intake below 50-100 gm (not counting insoluble fiber) per day. Once you’ve got the weight off, you can occasionally increase your carb count to 100-150. But if you have ever been overweight, eating more than 100-150 gm of carbs per day (depending on your size) will put the weight back on again, slowly but surely. So your best bet it to learn low carb and make it a new way of life.
- Avoid trans fats. Another metabolism-drag comes from trans fats, which damage fat processing enzymes to make you gain weight around your intestines. The lable can claim 0 gms of trans fat even when there is “secret trans” fat due to a loophole that only requires trans fat content be listed if there are more than .5 grams of trans fat per serving (as small as 1t) plus emulsifiers (‘glycerides’). To avoid trans fats, you must read the ingredients for all foods you buy (salad dressing, cereal, crackers, sauces, spreads) and avoid all of these “secret trans”-containing oils:
- Do not buy low fat, low cholesterol, or fat free food alternatives such as egg-beaters, low-cholesterol spreads, skim milk, and low-fat ice creams. Inadequate fat consumption over decades can train your body to rely on sugar for energy and impair your ability to burn fat. If this has happened to you, you may need to jump start your fat burning enzymes using the tricks described on this website and more to come. Subscribe for updates.
- Eat butter, eggs, cheese, and whole-milk. Studies show eating these foods improves HDL (good) cholesterol, bone health, brain health, and energy levels. Make sure these products come from pastured (grass-fed) animals. If that’s not possible, chose organic. If that’s not possible, do your best when you can.
- Eat vegetables with fat, salt, and an acid. This combination optimizes your body’s ability to absorb the antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in greens.
- Eat more vegetables that fruits. Fruits are better for you than candy for a treat, but they are a treat and you should eat 2- 3 servings of vegetables before you treat yourself to more fruit.
- Learn to make bone broth. In order to exercise, you need to keep your joints in good shape. The number one miracle food for your joints and connective tissue (including bone) is bone broth because it contains compounds that act like growth hormones in these tissues. NOTE: The magic in bone broth comes not from bone marrow, but rather from the collagenous joint materials and skin. Whenever possible, use pastured and organic ingredients.
- Eat probiotic-rich foods. If your digestive system is crampy, gassy, bloaty, or otherwise making you not want to eat, when you do feel better you’ll be very tempted to treat yourself to something overly starchy or sweet. To keep your digestive system working smoothly, include probiotic-rich foods in your diet on a regular basis. The most popular probiotic-rich food in the US is yoghurt, and real pickles and sauerkraut are also great sources of digestive-boosting organisms.
- Exercise! Cross train by doing as many different types of activities as you can: Walk, Dance, Ski, Bike, Shovel your neighbor’s walk. The best exercise is the exercise that you do. No program will succeed for long if its not fun. (This applies to eating, too!)
- Sleep. Sleep allows your diet and exercise programs to transform your body composition. Your body will be exposed to excessive cortisol and pro-inflammatory hormones if you do not get enough sleep, and most people will do better with 8 hours than with the more-common 6-7 we sometimes have to deal with.
Want a sample menu?
Here’s what the some of the Lakers have been eating lately.