Fried Food Expert Warns Seed Oils Break Down into Potent Toxins One of the most…
Table of Contents
- Mainstream Medicine Is Reversing Previous Dietary Dogmas. Sports Nutrition Lags Behind. The harms of PUFA – from seed oils – still overlooked.
- Effects of Elevated Sugar and Polyunsaturated Fat (PUFA) Intake on Exercise Performance
Mainstream Medicine Is Reversing Previous Dietary Dogmas. Sports Nutrition Lags Behind. The harms of PUFA – from seed oils – still overlooked.
Cardiologists are now recommending eggs and cheese for their patients with heart problems and many doctors are recommending eliminating seed oils. So in 2020, mainstream medicine has a taken a giant step away from dietary dogma towards science-backed advice. This is thrilling.
Sports nutrition, however, still tells athletes that sugar is the best fuel, especially so for the so-called ‘anaerobic’ sports and that polyunsaturated fats are the healthy kind of fat.
This presentation, hosted by CEPA and the American College of Sports Medicine, will provide evidence suggesting those ideas are based on an incomplete understanding of human physiology, and it highlight two ways that the high carb, high PUFA diet recommended by most sports nutritionists today is likely to dramatically impair sports performance.
The Clinical Exercise Physiology Association presents: Effects of Elevated Sugar and PUFA Intake on Exercise Performance: Time to Revisit Nutrition Guidelines? If you are a health professional and would like to get continuing education credits, check with CEPA (Clinical Exercise Physiology Association), a branch of the American College of Sports Medicine) which will be posting it officially for credit sometime in 2017, they hope.
This article is continued below...(scroll down)
This has been life changing
"Let me tell you this has been life-changing. I have all of her books, in audible and ebooks! I have gotten rid of all the hateful 8 oils. I have trained my body to eat its own previously toxic body fat. Download that pod it's a game changer!"
Broadcaster / The Megyn Kelly Show
Deep Nutrition changed my life.
Fox News Primetime host
Saved my life
I would like to thank you for literally saving my life. Back in February, I had to be hospitalized while on vacation in Phoenix with an A1C of 11% and had to start taking 2 types of insulin and 2 other meds. I read the Fatburn Fix in April, and followed the program to a tee, and I’m down by 15 pounds, 6.8 A1C, and only one once weekly diabetes medicine. Prior to reading the book, it was almost impossible for me to lose weight as a diabetic.
I feel free
For the last month, I have really been reading all labels on everything. I have completely remove those 8 oils you talk about. I must tell you, I feel great! I have more energy and I am now 197 lbs (have always been around 205 to 210lbs). I eat potatoes with real butter, grass fed steak, pasta with the right toppings. I eat everything! I seem to crave less sugar. I love it!
I feel so much better
I had terrible aches and pains everywhere in my body, my hands, shoulders and knees. I feel so much better and the way I feel is motivating me every day! Thank you
Mike Deb Wootan Burcin
Better than ever
I am an anesthesiologist in Orlando and a huge fan of both of your books! I have been incorporating your principles for the last 10 months and feel that my health is better than ever.
Marnie Robinson, MD
My allergies disappeared
The biggest difference for me (and a surprising one) is that my allergies have almost completely disappeared! This is a big deal for me, because I’ve had allergies most of my life and they have often affected what I do which is a teaching music in [a public school district]. In general, I feel much better and have more consistent energy throughout the day.
Heart Palpitations have Stopped
I’ve lost 20+ pounds (also fasting 16-24 hours daily) and haven’t had palpitations except for one occasion — I had a mini bag of Fritos for the first time in July. And, I feel better now on a daily basis than I ever did all through college.
Deep Nutrition and Fatburn Fix reader
I’ve lost over 50 pounds
I’ve lost over 50 pounds. I’m 56 years old. Cutting processed food and unhealthy fats from my diet was one of the first things I did on my health recovery journey...I went cold turkey off the bad oils. Emptied my pantry into the trash and just started eating real food
Mitzi Wilkinson Champion
Knowledge I didn’t know I needed
Your Fatburn Fix book is amazing, my friend. Thank you! I’m an Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and I know my stuff. This is the extra layer of knowledge I didn’t know I needed. Well done!
Fatburn Fix reader
Lost a solid 20 lbs and my bloodwork is great
I have lost a solid 20 lbs and my bloodwork (after 3 months of eating your way) was even better! I was metabolically healthy (per your book) before I read your book, but barely. Lowering my weight, sealed the deal! I have been talking about you and your book to anyone who will listen...Thank you for all you’ve done and what you continue to do! You are changing lives for the better!
FatBurn Fix reader
Lost 20 lbs I could never shed
I love your Fatburn Fix! Has helped me so so much! I have had the dreaded weight all my life - 20 or so pounds I could never shed. I have lost that now. I only eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner with a glass of milk or cappuccino around 4 to hold me over. No snacking and not bad oils. It has been the key to unlocking my fatburn. I work out in the am and believe I am burning fat for energy not from food!
I feel great
My waist is four inches smaller. I feel great and many of the minor aches and pains that I had (knees and lower back) are gone. Also, my muscle tone is amazing, even though I have not increased my workout routine.
Completed Dr Cate's online course
The go-to for strength and conditioning coaches
Whenever I advise my clients about eating to perform I go straight to what I have learned from Dr. Cate. Her book Deep Nutrition has become the go-to for strength and conditioning coaches across the country.
Major League Baseball Agent with WME Sports
Dismantles the lie
Dr. Cate dismantles the lie that seed oils are healthy, which may the biggest lie about nutrition and health because it’s so insidious.
Ken D Berry, MD
Author of Lies My Doctor Told Me
She knows the chemistry
Dr. Cate alerts us to the harms of seed oils and she’s convincing because she knows the chemistry better than anyone.
Dr. Drew Pinskey, MD
Globally recognized internal medicine and addiction medicine specialist, media personality, LoveLine Host, and New York Times bestselling author
No one is better at communicating nutritional truth
Dr. Cate has had the single greatest impact on how we talk to people about fueling for both performance or durability. While we all are a little unique, the foundational principles of human nutrition are immutable. If you are looking to create a more durable, resilient body, no one is better at communicating nutritional truth than Dr. Cate.
Dr. Kelly Starrett
Physiotherapist coach and New York Times and Wall Street Journal bestselling author
Highly recommend The Fatburn Fix
Dr. Shanahan has had a significant impact on my practice of medicine. I am known as a Low Carb Doctor, but I never really appreciated the negative effects of processed seed oils on the health of my patients. I highly recommend The Fatburn Fix to my patients and have a loaner copy in my waiting room. It is amazing how quickly blood sugars and overall health improves with cutting seed oils. It is not just about the carbs!
Dr. Brian Lenkzes, MD
CEO of LowCarbMD San Diego, co-host of Low Carb MD Podcast and host of Life's Best Medicine Podcast
Respected in the sports world
Dr. Cate reordered my diet when I was with the L.A. Lakers, and the benefits, for me personally, were felt immediately and have served me to this day. I’ve come to take real food so seriously I started a small family farm. I know of no M.D./nutritionist more respected in the sports world than Dr. Cate Shanahan.
Brought seed oil issue front and center
Cate brought the seed oil issue front and center. Healthy fats matter. So much so that I created an entire product line to swap out bad fats with good.
Founding Father of the Primal/Paleo Movement
Optimal health starts with food
If you want to understand how optimal health starts with food, start with Dr. Cate. Her book Deep Nutrition leaves you with an appreciation of the profound relationship between our genes and the planet, inspiring us to be good shepherds of both.
Attribution author of The Whole 30
Helped me with endurance
Deep Nutrition really helped me with endurance. I started to feel better as a player. I was able to run more, I was able to be more active …and I just decided to keep going with it to this day.
Silver bullet for me
Dr Cate’s teachings helped me lose 60 pounds like it was nothing. It was like a silver bullet for me.
Paul Grewal, MD
Dr Grewal Internal Medicine, MD, author of Genius Foods
Radically improve your health…
Dr. Shanahan has provided a solid reference that deserves a place in the library of anyone who is seriously interested in nutrition. Her perspective on the vital role that healthy fat has in our diet is novel and, if implemented, can radically improve your health.
Dr. Joseph Mercola
Author of Fat for Fuel and Founder of Mercola.com
Pull up a chair…
I have based my work on the idea that getting the right kinds of healthy fats into your body and avoiding the worst fats is essential to optimal health. I've interviewed dozens of the world's top experts about this, and I know of no one who speaks more eloquently on this topic than Dr Cate. If she’s talking fats, pull up a chair. Take notes.
Author of the Bulletproof Diet
The key to unlocking my fatburn
I love your Fatburn Fix! Has helped me so so much! I have had the dreaded weight all my life - 20 or so pounds I could never shed. I have lost that now. I only eat 2 meals a day lunch and dinner with a glass of milk or cappuccino around 4 to hold me over. No snacking and not bad oils. It has been the key to unlocking my fatburn.
Saved my life
I would like to thank you for literally saving my life. Back in February, I had to be hospitalized while on vacation in Phoenix with an A1C of 11% and had to start taking 2 types of insulin and 2 other meds. I read the Fatburn Fix in April, and followed the program to a tee, and I’m down by 15 pounds, 6.8 A1C, and only one once weekly diabetes medicine.
> Tears of joy
I'm crying tears of joy and appreciation for all you've done for me and my health! Without Deep Nutrition and Fatburn Fix, I would literally still be in the vicious cycle I'd been fighting all my life! In a nutshell - I am no longer a compulsive overeating addict suffering under the crushing 'thumb' of all food and alcohol.
Effects of Elevated Sugar and Polyunsaturated Fat (PUFA) Intake on Exercise Performance
Time to Revisit Nutrition Guidelines?
Key Points, what timepoint to find them, brief descriptions.
- Americans Were Healthier Before We Started Eating Processed Foods (At 4:00)
- Rates of pretty much every disease have 2-3x d in the past 40-50 years suggesting whatever we’re doing now is not working for us as well as whatever we were doing before.
- Americans Changed Our Diets After We Were Told To Avoid Saturated Fat (At 7:15)
- There was never any evidence saturated fat is bad for us, and when we cut that out, we added junk food in
- (Since I put this together, an influential mainstream cardiologist has made similar statements)
- Today’s Diet is Composed of ~80% Refined Carbohydrate and Polyunsaturated Fats from Vegetable Oils (At 26:50)
- Sports Nutrition guidelines tell athletes to eat the same macro ratio as the disease-inducing SAD.
- Athletes following these guidelines don’t get much saturated fat unless its coming from hydrogenated vegetable oils (check your peanut butter).
- High Carb Diets (esp. refined) Can Force Athletes to Burn More Glycogen than Low Carb (At 30:30)
- High carb diets promote 5-10x more insulin release than low carb.
- Even tiny amounts of insulin significantly block fat burn.
- Why high carb diets make you “hangry” 2-4 hours after your last meal.
- How high carb promotes insulin resistance.
- Insulin Promotes “Catecholamine Resistance,” Glycogen Depletion, and Protein-Wastage in Athletes (At 37:40)
- Why high carb athletes have to release more catecholamine (i.e. adrenaline, noradrenaline, dopamine) to get the same degree of fat burn.
- How this makes high carb athletes glycogen dependent.
- How glycogen dependence can cause protein wastage.
- High carb athletes are catecholamine resistant. (At 50:00)
- This is from Volek and Phinney’s FASTER study, but all steady state sub maximal exercise tests demonstrate the same indications of insulin-induced catecholamine resistance.
- Polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) (esp. refined) Can Impair Mitochondrial Function (At 54:30)
- PUFA promote mitochondrial proton leaks.
- PUFA block ATP production.
- PUFA can kill mitochondria at high enough concentration.
- Body fat is the best fuel for aerobic activity (At 1:01:20)
- Abundant evidence from all of nature suggest this is the case for other animals.
- When Sports Nutritionists suggest that glycogen is the best fuel for aerobic activity in humans, this goes against what appears to be true in the rest of the animal kingdom.
- Theirs is an extraordinary claim requiring an extraordinary burden of evidence to support, a burden which they have so far failed to meet.
- Conflicts of interest have slowed progress in the field nutrition. (At 1:04:30)
- The field of Sports Nutrition is the MOST conflicted of all.
- (Thank you for that, GSSI.)
KEY DEFINITIONS, and when they’re made
- Fat versus oil (At 19:10)
- Complex versus simple carbohydrate (At 25:00)
- Aerobic versus anaerobic exercise (At 38:40)
If you have a comment, correction, question or suggestion about this presentation please do not email me directly. Please post your question as a comment below so everyone can benefit from the discussion about your insights!
If you would like permission to show this presentation to your sports organization, please complete the form below:[contact-form-7 id=”2399″ title=”Contact form”]