The company I work for, ABC Fine Wine and Spirits, takes employee health seriously. We also take personal liberties seriously and have never required employees to get flu shots. I was asked to review the pros and cons of flu shots and present this information to the ABC Family so folks could make informed decisions for themselves.
I don’t give folks a blanket recommendation for flu shots. I take a variety of risk factors into consideration and make a stronger recommendation for flu shots for those at the highest risk for hospitalization from the flu.
Who would that be?
Those with poor metabolic health, poor diet (high in PUFA), extremes of age, in high-exposure situations combined with limited sick days, or who simply want one for whatever reason since it’s relatively safe—especially when you know what types of shots and the brands to look for (covered in this video). This year my recommendation is different because of how coronavirus is impacting the lives of folks in public-facing jobs, like retail—which is the case with most of my patients who were the live audience during this video recording.
This video was created for an audience of public-facing working folks in the state of Florida in November 2020 confronting the following realities:
- Federal requirements around coronavirus quarantines have kept people with minimal symptoms home. As a result, many people have run out of sick days and have already experienced financial strain due to being required to stay home to await COVID test results that take many days to return. Heading into flu season we anticipate the seasonal uptick in sickness will exacerbate the financial stresses and the flu shot plays a role in mitigating that.
- Florida is experiencing a resurgence in the number of coronavirus cases and our hospitals and intensive care units are starting to fill up with people sick from coronavirus.
In this (hopefully) engaging presentation, Dr. Cate will address the following common questions:
- How can I tell if I am at high risk for flu complications?
- How effective is the flu vaccine?
- How safe is the flu vaccine?
- Why do some flu vaccines have mercury?
- How can I avoid mercury-containing flu shots?
- Can the flu vaccine give me the flu?
- Is the flu shot safe for people with egg allergies?
- Can the flu shot harm baby’s in the womb?
- Should pregnant women ever get a flu shot?
What can you do to boost your immune system and defend against both the flu and the coronavirus?
- Avoid seed oils (The Hateful 8)
- Supplement with basic but essential vitamins and minerals I recommend here.
- Optimize your metabolic health according to the plan I describe in my book the FATBURN FIX.
- Get plenty of sleep. (21 Tips for Sleeping Smarter article by my friend Shawn Stevenson, who hosted me on his #1 rated Model Health Show)
- Reduce your stress by avoiding arguments about the influenza vaccine. Send folks to this article instead!