Please Note: Dr. Cate will be available for in-person appointments at her new office in Newtown, CT as of March 2017. To schedule an appointment, please call 203-426-1818.
Dr. Cate is no longer available for telephone consultations.
Why Sign Up for the Primal Advantage?
The Primal Advantage is the ultimate in personal service for wellness, disease prevention, and peak performance. Finally, you can engage one-on-one with a respected medical expert aligned with Primal principles to fine tune your metabolic function.
For more information please contact Dr Cate via email
How will this program help you?
Three components of the program will help you achieve your goals: assessment, evaluation, and action plan, all of which are complete by the end of the 90 minute visit.
The assessment consists of a laboratory panel and an extensive history, which Dr. Cate reviews prior to your first meeting.
The evaluation occurs during your first meeting, and here Dr. Cate will review your initial Metabolic Snapshot™ and provide you a breakdown of your metabolic function in six key areas:
- Energy production. If ATP production systems at the cellular level begin to fail, you can suffer from energy crises between meals. This drains your energy, impairs athletic performance and makes fat gain a constant battle.
- Hormone receptivity. Even before hormone levels on blood testing become abnormal, cells can lose their ability to respond to hormonal stimulation. When this occurs, hormone balance all over the body can become disrupted, leading to thyroid, ovarian, testicular and other glandular malfunctions.
- Immune system function. A healthy immune system not only fends off potentially deadly infections, it also detects and destroys rogue malignant cells before they develop into cancers. The Metabolic Snapshot detects the earliest indications of a faltering immune system before your health is in danger.
- Cardiovascular and circulatory health. Learn what your blood pressure and cholesterol numbers really mean, how they related to your diet and hormone status, and learn your true risk for heart attack, stroke, kidney disease and other complications of poor circulation.
- Brain and nervous system. Because the brain and nervous system are (pound for pound) your most nutrient and energy-demanding organs, the earliest signs of metabolic imbalance often manifest here but fail to be recognized or properly addressed.
- Connective tissue health. Your arteries, joints, skin, skeleton and more are supported by collagen. More than any other tissue, the health of this category of complex biomolecules determines your quality of life and lifespan.
3. Action Plan.
Dr. Cate will provide you with a clear set of steps to take to improve any weak areas identified. If your metabolic snapshot reveals optimal function, then Dr Cate will help you identify the essential components of your lifestyle to continue in order to avoid premature declines in fitness and health.
“…[W]e trust Dr. Cate implicitly. I’ve seen great results from it from when I started doing it last year.” 1
- – Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers
” Everything they’re telling us, one, it makes sense, and two, [Shanahan] has science to back it up.2…I used to have stiffness in my knees, but not anymore. I’m sticking with it. I’ve noticed a change.” 3
- – Steve Blake, LA Lakers
“I like [PRO Nutrition] I think it’s good for everybody…because it prolongs our lives, and generations after us will be healthier because we eat healthy.4 It really helped me with endurance [and] I started to feel better as a player. I was able to run more, I was able to be more active because of my diet change, and I just decided to keep going with it to this day. I can tell once I’ve [cheated], my body feels different.” 5
- – Dwight Howard, Houston Rockets
“I’ve definitely noticed my joints aren’t as sore, aren’t as stiff when I wake up.” 6
- – Chris Kaman
“Working with Dr. Shanahan, I’ve radically changed my diet. I can’t tell you how much better I feel: tons more energy and a minor stomach pot is disappearing fast. I’m calmer and getting restful sleep, which I’d about resigned myself to doing without for the rest of my life. Incidentally, my high blood pressure is decent for a change and those annoying, stubborn skin rashes are next in line for full attention. Knee and neck pain from long ago injuries are gone; my joints are looser and more flexible. I’m happy as a clam. Health and longevity are vital interests of mine. “I’ve got to live a long time so I can write my books,” is what I say. Plus I’m addicted to feeling good, my blessedly lucky state for most of my life.“
- – JoAnne Lordahl, Kaui resident and Author Princess Ruth
WE CANNOT BELIEVE THE CHANGES! My parents call us to talk about buying grass-fed liver and to brag about their awesome food and lifestyle upgrades. I am SO HAPPY that you were able to help them transition. We got such a kick out of the phone calls) – “Did you know that sugar feeds cancer?” I am more than impressed by the depth and bredth of Dr. Shanahan’sknoweldge. More importantly, as the daughter of one of her patients – I am amazed by her effectiveness. Dr. Shanahan listens carefully to my mother’s concerns and clearly shares and explains health-saving information. In a few short weeks, my mother transformed from a life-long junk food eater to a nutritional maven. She is losing excess weight, showing large improvements in her blood work and – most critically – strengthening the systems of her body to help her as she undergoes chemotherapy and surgery in her ongoing fight against cancer. As a family, we are fortunate beyond measure to have Dr. Cate in our corner!
- – Lizzie Harris McCormick, PhD. Long Island City, NY
I have suffered from plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis and a myriad of other sports injuries off and on for 30 years. I always attributed it to running too much, being active, getting older etc. etc. Not only did Dr Cate heal my ailing joint and tendons but my skin looks amazing! That coupled with the anti- inflammatory diet has cleared up my adult cystic acne as well and we are well into the dog days of summer in Atlanta. Usually by this time of year my skin is a mess as and I am happy to say it looks and feels great. My body feels happy!
- – Pattie Blohm, Milton, GA
In a matter of six weeks I lost six pounds, my blood sugars are in much better control, my blood pressure dropped from the 140/80 range to 112/72, I feel much less hungry and have a lot more energy. I’m not really eating a lot less, but rather a lot different.
- – M Davis, Manchester, NH
Articles about Dr. Cate and her professional athletes:
Here’s part 2, about Paleo/Primal: